Eating seasonally is a wonderful way to boost your health. In July, we're loving Roasted Winter Veggie Soup with Garlic & Thyme.
It is so easy to make and such a great way to get a bunch of anti-inflammatory ingredients in your body in one go. Butternut squash is high in potassium, helping to keep your blood pressure in check; and thyme helps to fight acne and boosts immunity.
- 1 large butternut squash
- 2 carrots
- 3 stalks of celery
- 1 large onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 6 sage leaves
- 6 sprigs of thyme (stems removed)
- 1 sprig of rosemary (stems removed)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne red pepper powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 + ½ cups vegetable stock
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Peel, pit and chop the veggies into bite-sized pieces, and toss in a combination of the olive oil, herbs, and spices.
- Roast for 1 hour or until tender.
- Combine in a food processor with 1 cup veggie stock (or use a stick blender).
- Pour into a large saucepan, add the rest of the stock and simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with additional fresh herbs and serve with warm, crusty sourdough bread.